It used to be tricky to find the iPhone’s lock-screen camera button—unless you knew the trick, that is. But thanks to a new iPhone software update, the iPhone camera shortcut just became much harder to miss.
Once you install the just-released iOS 5.1 software update, the camera button will always sit right next to the “slide to unlock” slider on the iPhone lock screen—no need to double-tap the “home” key anymore.
Also, instead of tapping the camera shortcut like before, you now slide it up; doing so makes the entire iPhone lock screen slide out of the way, revealing the camera viewfinder and controls beneath. Nice.
Of course, you can’t get the new iPhone camera shortcut without updating your iPhone to iOS version 5.1.
Here’s how to do it:
- Make sure you’ve got about half an hour or so to spare; that’s how long the process will take.
- Plug your iPhone into its charger.
- From the iPhone home screen, tap Settings, General, Software Update.
- You should see a page titled “iOS 5.1″ that lists a slew of improvements and bug fixes—and beneath, there should be a button labeled “Download and Install.” Tap that button to begin the installation process.
- Now it’s time to sit back and relax while the iPhone update does its thing—and whatever you do, don’t try to turn off your iPhone or unplug its power cable.
Still have questions? Let me know!