Hi Robyn! Yep, you can indeed create new mail folders—or mailboxes, as they’re also called—for your various email accounts, all directly on your iPad or iPhone.
The process only takes a few taps, but you need to navigate to just the right place in the Mail app for the “New Mailbox” button to appear.
- Open the Mail app on either the iPhone or iPad, then keep tapping the “back” arrow at the top-left corner of the display until you arrive at the Mailboxes screen.
- Next, scroll down to the “Accounts” section of the page, then tap the name of the email account for which you’d like to add a new folder.
- Tap the “Edit” button in the top-right corner of the screen, then tap the “New Mailbox” button.
- Go ahead and type in a name for your mailbox in the “Name” field.
- Now, where do you want to install your new mailbox? If you want it to be a “top-level” mailbox—that is, one of the first mailboxes you see when you open your email account—you can just tap the blue “Save” button.
- To put the new mailbox inside an existing one, tap the the mailbox under the “Mailbox Location” heading, select a new “parent” mailbox from the list that appears, then tap “Save.”
- And … voilà! Your new mailbox should be ready and waiting.
Want to move or even delete an existing mailbox? Just select an email account under the “Accounts” section of the Mail app, tap Edit, tap a mailbox, then select a new folder in the “Mailbox Location” section or tap the red “Delete Mailbox” button.
Keep in mind, though, that if you delete a mailbox, you may also delete all the enclosed email messages.